Sunday, February 26, 2012

Walking with God

Today in Bible class, Terry, our preacher, talked about Abraham and Sarah and how we need to learn to walk with God, not run ahead of Him. I feel like this experience is going to be the perfect way to learn patience, because there really is nothing I can do to change things, at least not at this point. Of course I could have just terminated the pregnancy, which is what it seems must have happened to most other cases like Lucy's because there are NO cases that I, my doctor, or my friend Emily, who is a pediatrician, have been able to find so far here in the U.S. Even if they had told us Lucy did have a fatal disease, I couldn't have terminated the pregnancy. Someone on a baby board said that if they had a child outside the womb who was diagnosed with cancer, they wouldn't just put them to sleep, they would do everything they could to help them survive. So why should it be any different for a baby in the womb?

So, back to walking with God. Most of the big mistakes I have made have had to do with grabbing for things that I wanted when it wasn't the right time. I didn't trust God to give me what I needed when the time was right. Now, I have no choice but to wait and trust God. And the weird thing is, it's liberating knowing that I can't do anything to control the situation at this point.

I have seen God working in all of this already, which gives me more peace. Earlier this year I wondered why in the world I had 27 students this year (normally I have 18-22). The surface reason is because of state budget cuts, and unexpected growth in the district, but I knew that there must be some deeper reason for this over abundance of kindergarteners. Now I have my answer! There is a lady who is my compliance teacher, Mrs. Raby, and she is wonderful. She is patient and even-keeled, but strict, and the kids really like her and respect her. She is a hard worker and she very rarely misses work. Now that I have to take half days and whole days at times for doctor's appointments and will have to be gone for at least the last few weeks of school, I know that there will be someone reliable with my school children. And really, for 27 kids, they are one of the least difficult classes I have had since I started teaching. God knows what we need when we need it. Of course, we don't always get to see the proof of that right away, but I thank Him that He let me see how He was working since the school year started! It's such a blessing to serve a God who is not stuck in time and space like we are. Another thing I had started to think about was having to go to Houston/be in Houston for an extended period of time. Today, a friend from church, Laura, offered her parent's house to us if we needed to spend any time in Houston. I didn't even have to ask.

Terry also talked about Hagar, Sarah's maidservant who was impregnated by Abraham by Sarah's suggestion and then later mistreated by Sarah and ran off into the desert. The Angel of the Lord went out and found Hagar and comforted her and told her that she had to go back to Abraham and Sarah and that God would bless her. She didn't ask for God's help, but He knew she needed it.

Well, I think that's all for today. Keep us in your prayers. I will update when I get more news!

Oh, the idea to ask for specific prayer requests came from another CDH blog, but I've read so many I can't remember exactly which one it was. I thought that was a really good idea and as soon as I figure out who has it, I'll give them credit!

Here's a verse for today:
Fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
(Isaiah 41:10)

4 comments:

  1. We will be following you in this journey. My husband and I are expecting a little girl Esther in April that also has CDH. We are in this together... you can follow us along at rhondaandjasonholtrop.blogspot.com... praying for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky. Your family and little Lucy will be in my prayers as well. My little sister, Kayleigh Palmer, did a study abroad with your in-laws in Peru this past summer. :) She has told me of your story and sent me your blog to follow. I just got caught up and I am so encouraged and touched by your faithful heart. Although we don't share exactly the same story - we also had an unexpected journey in my pregnancy with my our Jet. He was born with Spina Bifida in May 2009 and is our miracle baby and constant joy. We had a devastating diagnosis one January day when I was about 20 weeks - but received a miracle change the very next day that allowed us to feel Hope - and in the end brought us the baby boy we love so much. I know the fear of doctors telling you your baby won't have a chance at life - and though we only had to experience that kind of confusion and hurt for 24hrs before it was lessened - I will carry it with me always. Today Jet is 2 1/2 and just plain wonderful. Though we still have trials and "bumps" in the road - it is one we travel with gratitude and joy. We have a family blog as well www.babyboypenny.blogspot.com and you can read Jet's Story there by clicking the tab and following the link. We will be following your journey and keeping you in our prayers. God bless you! - Joanna Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky! I just found your blog today and wanted you to know that I'll be praying for sweet Lucy and your family through this journey. I'm also pregnant with a little girl with CDH, due in June. Such a scary diagnosis, but I know God loves our babies even more than we do and has His hand on them.
    Leslie (www.babybeehelms.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete